If you take a look on the Internet, you will notice that there are a lot of project management courses to choose from. While choice is a good thing, this can make it a little bit overwhelming when selecting the right course for you. However, there is no need to fret, as we have put together a list of the five main aspects you need to think about when choosing. So, read on to discover more.
- The curriculum – The first thing you need to take a look at is the curriculum being taught on the course. Some courses are designed for new project managers; others are suitable for those with a considerable amount of experience. Therefore, make sure you select one that is right for your skill level and features a curriculum that is going to be enriching for you. For example, the APM Project Fundamentals course provides people with the knowledge and language needed to be a project manager. It is ideal for beginners.
- What previous experience is required? – This leads onto the next point perfectly; the experience you are going to need to take the course. Do you need to know how to use any tools like typing tutor? While you don’t need any experience for the APM Project Fundamentals qualification, you may need experienced for other courses, such as the PMP course. Make sure you meet the criterion that is in place.
- The impact it has had on other people’s careers – You want to make sure the course you select is going to have a positive influence on your career, taking it to the next level. To do this, you are going to need to read reviews that have been left by those who have already done the course and achieved this qualification. Have they noticed the impact on their career? Would they recommend the course to someone else? These are the sort of questions you will be able to find honest answers to. However, do not let one comment cloud your entire judgment – it is crucial to think about them as a whole.
- How highly regarded the qualification is – This relates to the former point; you need to consider how the project management qualification is viewed in the industry. Take the PMP qualification as a prime example. This is an internationally recognised certification, and, therefore, it is going to benefit you no matter where in the world you are.
- The assessment – Last but not least, the assessment itself is extremely important. How long do you have to complete the assessment? What does it consist of, i.e. is it multiple choice or do you need to give detailed answers? You should also find out how you take the test and how regularly it is available. The APM Project Fundamentals course, for example, can be taken over the Internet and thus can be done at any time. The same cannot be said for other options, meaning you may have to plan in advance when you are going to take the assessment. Also find out how many answers you need to get correct to pass.